What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Sunday, August 25, 2013

Voluntown, Connecticut

On this trip to Connecticut, we stayed in nearby Voluntown which is about as obscure a place as Baltic - but it does have a motel.  The AmericInn was a welcome sight at the end of a day driving through a torrential downpour that lasted several hours beginning when we left Albany and passed through the Adirondack mountains to reach Hartford. The motel has a reminder that we were not far from New York City.

bALTIC-4 bALTIC-1-1

We were back in "Grinder" country and this time I had a chance to sample one of these sandwiches.    
bALTIC-1 Vtown-2
Sunny's makes their grinders in the rear of this convenience store and we had to walk through the middle of the sandwich prep area to reach the lone restroom.  I bought my grinder later in a different place.

But, looking at the signs on the bulletin board in Sunny's, I noted that there was civic effort underway to preserve an historic landmark in the community.  And right outside I found the building in question.
bALTIC-3 bALTIC-2

Voluntown seems like a historic-minded community with this sign not far away.  It was actually named for the heavy contribution of volunteers in King Phillip's war of 1675 against the indians.
Vtown-1

(A report on the building tour is available here.)

No comments: