What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Saturday, January 26, 2019

Construction in Progress - 2019

When I went to bed late last night, I noticed one of the familiar sounds of Cairo.  "Varoooooooom" - a few seconds pause, then "Varoooooooom."  A sure sign of new construction.

I showed you the details of interior construction just about four years ago in this blog post.  There I featured the rough shell of apartment buildings that look like this as they rise about 8 to 12 stories in the air.
CIP-09

The interior surfaces are finished with a sand/cement mixture to form smooth surfaces and the floors covered with ceramic tile.
CIP-06

But how does all of that sand and cement get to the higher floors?  There is no freight elevator.  A construction crew working on, say, the fifth floor sets up a baby crane on the balcony (almost all apartments have a balcony) and lowers a bucket to a crew at street level who load up the bucket.  Up goes the bucket, out pours the sand.  Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

When I woke up this morning, the crew was still moving sand so I made a video.  Click on the triangle in the center to play it. The five-man crew has this process running very smoothly.


Thursday night is an ideal time to begin this sort of work on a busy street.  This is the beginning of the weekend and there will be no traffic on Friday morning to cause problems.

No comments: