What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Capitals


We all see art differently and isn't that a wonderful thing.  There is a lot of symmetry in Egyptian art and architecture. I see the beauty of symmetry. For example, the columns of Luxor Temple.
LBP1-01


Or the symmetry of the Avenue of the Sphinxes between Karnak Temple and Luxor Temple.
LBP1-03

Or the columns and capitals of this small temple at Philae.
LBP1-02


But the architecture that thrills me is the asymmetry of the capitals at Philae Temple.
LBP1-07  LBP1-06

Here it looks like the architect was trying to satisfy lovers of both symmetry and asymmetry with the same head of the goddess Hathor on top of different capitals.
LBP1-08



LBP1-04  LBP1-18



LBP1-17  LBP1-16

I'm captivated by these differing capitals every time I visit Philae.
LBP1-14 LBP1-13

I remember learning in school about the different types of capitals (Ionic, Doric and Corinthian etc.) but I was never shown pictures like these. They are magnificent!
LBP1-12 LBP1-11


LBP1-10 LBP1-09

LBP1-15






No comments: