What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Monday, September 2, 2013

Pennsylvania - The Turnpike, the Travel and the Town

I really didn't have many expectations or preconceived ideas about Pennsylvania.  I suppose that I recall pictures of Eisenhower's farm from my childhood and I knew there were some mountains in the western part of the state.  But I pictured the Pennsylvania Turnpike as a long, flat straight road from one side of the state to the other.  Wrong!

The countryside was much hillier than I expected.  The turnpike goes through a lot more mountains than I expected.  I figured the turnpike was the best of all Interstates.  Maybe I should have just thought it was the oldest.  It isn't really up to the current Interstate standards for lane width and shoulders.  And the tunnels?  Well, let's just say that none of them compares to the Eisenhower near Denver.
PensyTurnpike-4 PensyTurnpike-5

This turnpike history site has some nice pictures including postcard views of the turnpike.  Wikipedia, of course, has all the details.  Cost?  I didn't keep a good record but it was around thirty bucks from Philadelphia to the Ohio border.


Linda got a few pictures of the countryside for us to look at. 

PensyTurnpike-1

PensyTurnpike-2

PensyTurnpike-3

My goal was to be in Ohio at the end of the day so we didn't take many detours.  I kept seeing tempting signs - Latrobe (Arnold Palmer), Beaver Falls (Joe Namath) and Pittsburgh, for instance.  And the Flight 93 memorial is just a few miles away from the Turnpike.  I never saw signs for that or we would have made the stop.

We did stop for dinner just as we were getting into the hill country a hundred and fifty miles or so from the Ohio Border.  The town was Somerset.  The restaurant target was Crazy Alice's.


Crazy Alice is not "fast" food.  It provides a dining experience.  Think an hour to an hour and a half.   However, the food was notably good with the crabcakes better than the previous night on the waterfront in Baltimore and a darn sight cheaper too!  and this is my kind of restaurant.  They had a framed picture postcard of the place from over a hundred years ago.  It has lost its top floor over time.
Pensyturnpike2-2

Pensyturnpike2-3 Pensyturnpike2-7

Say, aren't those a couple of old Packards in front of the hotel?
PensyTurnpike3-1





No comments: