What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Sunday, March 17, 2024

Winter in Egypt, 2024 - Linda Makes Roqaq

When I saw this product in our local supermarket I was intrigued so I bought a package of it. I had no idea what it was.

Roquoq-04

 

We opened the package once we were home. Still had no idea what it was or what to do with it. We asked a visiting friend what it was and he said, "Raqaq." I asked how it is used. He said that you dip it in soup and bake it. This friend is not known for food knowledge so I questioned his answer.  

Roquoq-03

 

I looked up raqaq recipes on YouTube and watched how Egyptians prepared the dish. It did indeed call for using stock or soup, as our friend had suggested. I always have stock on hand for making various recipes so I was ready to go. After coating both sides of the cracker-like sheets, I continued for several layers. The YouTuber suggested making a filling of ground beef with onions and then adding more stock coated layers.

Roquoq-01    Roquoq-02

 

I had some leftover chili con carne so I thought that would make a good filling. Turns out I had just the right amount of chili to complete a layer. After the chili layer I continued to add several layers of sheets and topped the dish with dots of butter.

Roquoq-05

 

Into the 350 degree oven it went.

Roquoq-07

 

After about 35 minutes it was browned and crispy.

Roquoq-08    Roquoq-09

 

I cut into the raqaq and removed a slice for us to sample. It looked very much like the YouTube version.

Roquoq-12

 

Flaky layers with a meat filling.

Roquoq-10

 

The raqaq combined with some stuffed vegetable that our neighbors had given to us made for a tasty Egyptian meal. Notice our special Ramadan plates.

Roquoq-13


Roquoq-14

 



No comments: