The power went off for the eighth(?) time last night. Unfortunately, Linda was across the hall at the neighbor's and hadn't taken her flashlight. I fumbled around and found one of our two for when she would be returning. After about twenty minutes, I heard her at the door and shined the light her way as the door opened.
She about blinded me with the light she had brought home with her.
It's a two-tube fluorescent fixture that stores use for emergency lighting. We lit the apartment for dinner with it. Our neighbors keep two of them.
After the power came back on, I took it back to our neighbor and asked where I could buy one. He said that he'd pick one up for me downtown in the next day or two. It will be a welcome addition.
Based on our experience, these winter power outages are unusual and may lead to more serious issues as summer arrives as noted in this article.
Last night, just before 11 p.m., the doorbell rang. It was the 4-year-old and 9-year-old from across the hall. They had a new emergency light for me. Dad had just returned from downtown and sent them over with the light.
And it was fortunate that he picked it up so quickly. Tonight at 7 p.m. the lights went out for an hour as we were preparing dinner. With matches to light the gas stove and our new emergency light on, we hardly missed a beat. The "lights out" program appears to be part of a planned conservation program necessitated by a shortage of natural gas. At least that was the message in most places. But, I see there is now at least one report that "The Brotherhood Did It."