What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Wednesday, January 16, 2019

What's the Weather Like in Egypt?

What's the weather like in Egypt is a frequent question we hear.  I usually describe it as "about like the weather in Phoenix."  Checking on Accuweather today I see that Phoenix will have a low of 48 and a high of 67.  Our thermometer here in Cairo registered an overnight low of 48 yesterday and a high of 68.  I'd say that is pretty darn close!

But today is a different day...

When the wind blows here in the winter, the fine sand of the Sahara turns the sky to a golden glow and cools the temperature.  Do not go outside!  Breathing the dust is unpleasant and it gets into places you would never imagine.

Here is a photograph from our back balcony a couple of days ago alongside one from this afternoon.
Egypt4-1-2

The weather forecast describes the situation this way.
Egypt4-6

After a few hours, things have begun to settle down.  This usually happens a couple of times each winter during our stay - but usually in late February or March.  I guess you would call it unseasonably sandy.




No comments: