What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Airplane on a Stick - Bilbeis, Egypt

Call me quirky, but I like to take photos of airplanes on a stick. Click here to see all of my collection.

There is an airplane on a stick in front of the Egyptian Air Force Academy at Bilbeis, about 50km northeast of Cairo.  I really wanted a photo but the Egyptian military is a little sensitive about photos of military installations. After being warned by all others in the car about what would happen to me if I was caught taking a photo, I did not try to photograph it.  But, about 6 km closer to Cairo along the Cairo-Bilbeis Desert Road there is a roundabout with this Sukhoi Su-7 fighter-bomber mounted in the center.

A fairly rare bird, the Su-7 saw service with the Egyptian Air Force during the October War of 1973 (Yom Kippur War.)
Belbeis-SU-7-1

(Note that you can also click on the appropriate tag below following "Labels:" or click on the appropriate tag in the left-hand column under "See All Our Posts About:" to reach subjects of interest that we have referenced.)



No comments: