What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Helwa Means Beautiful

An important word to learn when traveling is the local term for beautiful or pretty.  In Egypt, the word is "helwa."  You will hear it used to describe pictures, cars, children.

Today we were back on our usual walking route and noticed this vine-covered stone wall for the first time.
Helwa-1

After taking a picture of the wall, I took another closer shot of the blossoms.
Helwa-2

Putting the camera away, an older gentleman sitting on the curb said to me, "helwa," pointing to the wall.  "Aiwa (yes), helwa" I replied.  It doesn't really take a lot of words to exchange thoughts in any language.

 We don't know what this flower is.  Perhaps some reader can help.

No comments: