What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Back to Baton Rouge. The State Library.

We returned to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, on Monday. I finally had the chance to do my research at the Louisiana State Library where I went through the Baton Rouge newspapers for February of 1955.
BatonRouge-II-1

Louisiana has a unique resource in its State Library dating from 1920. It is a bit of a combination of Genealogical resource, state document archive and large research library with open stacks. Besides the newspapers that I wanted, I found an IBM 407 accounting machine wiring manual and several other 1950s and 60s era computer books.

After copying some microfilm pages we headed out to lunch. We had trouble finding restaurants open. (It was the day before Mardi Gras, remember!) We finally found a spot at Mason's Grill.
BatonRouge-II-3

Bobby Flay highlighted Mason's in his article, "50 States, 50 Burgers" in Food Network Magazine. We skipped the "Cajun Shrimp Burger" and went right for the Crawfish etouffee and the grilled shrimp. Highly recommended.

And, o yes, on my third try, I finally did get a picture of the Louisiana state capitol with sunshine on it and at least some blue sky.
BatonRouge-II-2

No comments: