What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Philadelphia - Birthplace of the Computer

We arrived in Philadelphia with plenty of daylight left so took a quick run down town to get a feel for the city.  Naturally, I headed first for 33rd and Walnut, the location of the University of Pennsylvania's Moore School of Electrical Engineering.  And there was the state historical marker that I wanted to photograph.
Eniac-2 Eniac-1

If that claim for the first digital computer sounds familiar, it may be because you remember a similar claim that I photographed in Ames, Iowa.
Eniac-1-3 Eniac-1-2

Resolving the conflicts between those two claims requires the skill of a "Philadelphia lawyer."  And you can certainly find them advertised here, right alongside the freeways.
IMG_6878 copy2


Yes, U-CAN-SUE!

And when the holders of Penn's claim sued the rest of the computer industry, Iowa's claim came to light and saved the day.



No comments: