What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Sunday, March 13, 2022

At the Tailor Shop

I have a pair of jeans purchased here in Cairo that fit well, except for being about two inches too long.  Coincidentally, I have a couple of pair of slacks with a similar problem that I brought along for the winter here in Cairo.  One of my priorities for the winter was to find a competent tailor.

A friend suggested a shop not far from Tahrir Square.  I bagged up the items needing work and we headed downtown. 

IMG_7338edited1   IMG_7350edited1

 

Like many businesses here, this is a one-man operation.  Housed in a space about 12 X 16, the shop has a changing booth, new clothes for sale and a back room the size of a very narrow closet with a sewing machine, a chair and good task lighting.

IMG_7353edited1   IMG_7354

 

IMG_7357edited1

 

Hussein, the tailor, was happy to accommodate us without leaving the trousers overnight.  He measured and marked each of the items and headed into the back room to work on them.

IMG_7346edited1


After shearing the pant legs, Hussein stitched a new hem in the jeans on his treadle powered Singer sewing machine.  For the other trousers, he hand-stitched the new hems.  

IMG_7356edited1   IMG_7362


The price was reasonable at 40 E.G.P apiece, around $2.60  No extra charge for the tea that was served while I waited.  Tea is something of a magical lubricant for Egyptian commerce.  "Tea runners" service multiple businesses along a street segment as customers come and go from the shops.

IMG_7361


After the work was complete, Hussein posed with me out in front of the shop.  Total time at the shop was a bit over a half hour.

IMG_7356edited1 IMG_7363edited1









No comments: