What's New On Tom's Travel Blog?

Flickr has been improved! Almost all photos on this blog come from my Flickr Photostream. You can now go directly to a page that shows all of my Flickr photo sets by following this link. It's the easiest way to navigate in my on-line photos.


Sunday, March 27, 2022

Tom Restores the Key to the Front Door

Several years ago, perhaps back around the time of the revolution in 2011, our HOA decided to begin locking the front door to our building.  Keys were distributed and the door was locked at night.  I think this discipline lasted only a few days before being declared unworkable due to the number of children without keys.  It could also be a problem for the building's cat population but the broken glass at the bottom facilitates their movement in and out.

IMG_7772edited2

 

This year, the practice returned, without much discipline - more of an occasional rare inconvenience.  I acquired one key on my first visit in January but we needed to have a duplicate made.  I headed out with Roshdy to find a locksmith shop.

It's easy to spot a locksmith from the distance in Egypt.

IMG_7028edited1

 

 

We checked with this one and he quickly made a copy of the key.

IMG_7026_edited-2   IMG_7027edited1

 

The charge for the completed key was five Egyptian pounds, about 35 cents.  I tipped the locksmith another five.

The key works fine but the door is mostly left open now. So much for having a "security building".

 

 

 

 

 




No comments: